Monday, November 5, 2007

Brush with greatness

So today I was in Franprix on Mouffetard (the little one, for those who know), trying to get over to the ice cream freezer when my path was blocked by a cameraman, a dude with a boom mic, and some other dude in a suit. I assumed they were filming some sort of news piece. But then, as I went to check out, one of the check stands was loaded down with groceries (about 125 euros' worth, as I noted) so I moved to the next one. Then I realized that the woman at the check out was with the camera crew, and she was Mathilde Seigner. She's a French actress who was in a movie I saw in class last year (Harry, for the 306 alums), and these people were following her around for an interview or a documentary or something. It occurred to me that it might be a movie, but the guy talking to her had a clip mic on his shirt so I highly doubt it. Too bad I don't have TV cuz I'd like to see myself on French television haha. It was a bizarre experience because I don't really even know of any French celebrities, but I instantly recognized her (plus her face is all over the metro because she has a new movie coming out). Paris is a weird place because everything is here. In America, movie stars are in LA, models are in New York, politicians are in Washington, DC. But in France, they're all in Paris.

That brings me to something else -- Sarko walking out on 60 Minutes. I think the guy's a total toolbox, but I definitely felt bad for him. The dumb bitch should've just let it go. Most Americans don't get this, but in France, the personal life of a politician is totally irrelevant. The French don't just talk about their sex lives with strangers, even if they're public figures. I'm actually amazed that he just took the mic off instead of calling her a nosy bitch (or maybe a "putain salope américaine").

No comments: