Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Du coque à l'âne

Today was one of those days that started out just horribly and ended up, well, not half bad. But of course the wicked mood I was in earlier was totally of my own design. Being sick and stress with classes and work and all that have combined to put me in a real funk, one of very few I've had since I've been here. I've gone so far as to wish I was home, but really, what does that even mean? Every time that Paris has gotten hard, and I've thought, "What if I was in San Francisco? What if I was in San Diego?", I've always realized right away that no surroundings or even people would make me feel better. It's just a state of mind. So as the French would say, "Ben, enfin bon." This too shall pass.
So anyway, today I woke up at 8:30 (don't freak out, I went to bed at 10:30), with the intention to hit the gym before class at noon. Well, this will be my official itinerary starting next week, because this morning I did my homework instead. Good excuse, at least. And I used the extra time to economize and straighten my hair. So productive. Anyway, class was fine. It was followed by a brisk walk home where I packed a snack and a sandwich for dinner, because I won't be getting home until about 8:15 on Tuesday nights from now on. I left right away to get to campus, where I crashed an American civilization class and the professor added me, no questions asked. It's kind of redundant (and in English), but I am able to sacrifice the 2 credits and anyway I need them to have a full course load for the semester. Plus, why not learn about the founding of America from a French woman speaking in a very heavy British accent. But also making very French facial expressions. I nearly laughed out loud. What will be hard is not looking like a giant brown-noser because I already know the subject and the language is my first. Ohhh well. After tha class I pretty much ran across campus to get to my French civilization class. Of course. American, then French civilization. It was kind of boring in that the professor gave us a document then read and explained it a bit for 2 hours, but oh well. I love her anyway.
Tomorrow my earliest class is 1, and I'm not going to work out beforehand, but I think I'm going to get up early anyway to do my homework. Ugh, getting up before 10 am is just not for me.

No comments: