Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My iCal is like a Christmas Tree

That's to say, it's covered in pretty-colored bubbles. Although not all of these bubbles are good things. Classes, work, registration dates. Blah. I'm trying to get shit together for summer school, but unfortunately SFSU is dragging their feet posting the schedule. The fee deadlines are up, but nothing about the class times. I'm taking magazine writing and what I hope will be a very easy GE class about women and politics. It's really awkward that I left some of these basic requirements until senior year -- being a senior in a 100 level class seems shameful for some reason. Whaaaaatever. I've also been playing around with my college Excel spreadsheet. I made this damn thing the summer of 2005, after getting home from orientation. It's changed from journalism classes, to journalism and French classes, two semesters of summer school. Now I'm trying to figure out the classes I'll take next year. I just can't live in the present, that's one of my biggest problems. I am always ten steps ahead of myself. I look for apartments in San Francisco, I write down class times for two semesters from now. In high school I used to spend Sundays looking at my future apartment in New York and looking up the salary for an entry-level magazine job. If I die tomorrow, at least I've lived most of my future in my head.

This morning I booked flights to Vienna. Well, I booked flights to Bratislava (50 euros woot woot) and looked up a bus time to take me to downtown Vienna. When I was little, my parents hired Austrian au pairs who took care of me and my brother during the day and took free English classes at night. There was a time in my life when I knew a bit of German. I wish my parents had made them speak German to me. Anyway, Edith was always my favorite. It's possible that she was totally exceptional or she just lived with us during a time I remember particularly well (she was preceded by Angela -- Ahn-gay-luh, love German -- and followed by Sieglinde and Maggie). Edith kept in contact with us my entire life and I actually ended up seeing her four years ago in Paris with my mom. Well now she's invited me to spend a week with her in Vienna (I'm only doing four days, though) during spring break. So I'll be four days in Rome with Lauren, then a couple days home, then four days in Vienna. So that makes up for the fact that I won't be going to Nice during spring break. I just keep reminding myself that come hell or high water I will make up for all of that beach tim e lying on some volcanic sand in Santorini.

The drama right now is that Lauren announced she'd like to peace out this weekend, probably to London. Flights are ridiculous (even though I refuse to fly to London for less than the lovely EasyJet price of 70 euro, not available last minute) so if I go it'll be Eurolines. Fucking long bus ride, but it's vacation, I got time and maybe I'll take a nap or something. We'll see if Lauren can get the flights together on her side.

No comments: