Friday, December 14, 2007

Whoops

Apparently I forgot that I had a blog. Actually it's more like I've been so tired when I get home that all I want to do is lay down and the typing takes too much effort. Anyway, plenty of things have happened since I last put something down here. I did finally get paid, and I celebrated by immediately calling Orange and recharging my SIM card. Okay so maybe it was a late celebration. Mom got in on November 30 and stayed for a week. We went shopping and made guacamole and went to Bruges for a day and all kinds of stuff. We went to like four different Pimkie's so I could bulk up my long-sleeve shirt repetoire. Plus I got some wool tights and dresses and stuff. And Mom bought me a fat raincoat at Etam so now I'm all set. Bruges was cool, although not what I had expected. I knew Belgium had more than one language but I didn't realize how prevalent Flemish would be. It should be interesting when I travel some more because I really don't remember what it's like to visit a country where you don't know the language. The last time that happened I was 13, during my 2 1/2 week trip to Latvia, Lithuania, and the Netherlands. I know people speak English practically everywhere, but I still feel like I should be speaking French, pretty much no matter where I go.
Anyway, the visit was good. It was marred by my stupid Franco-American exposé, so I was stressed out most of the time, but that ended up fine too. On the Monday of that week, I was "inspected" by the local education department. Fun times. It was the two women I already know of course, and they came to my smallest and probably best-behaved class, so it was fine. They said they were very happy that the kids are smiling and excited to speak English and not afraid to mess up. But they also said that there's too much writing involved. Which is silly because all they ever have to write is vocab words and that just helps with memorization. So yeah overall in was fine.
Tuesday I got my carte de séjour, FINALLY. That morning I left early and went to four tabacs to find the fucking stamp. Nothing. Of course. Somehow I arrived at my appointment about 4 minutes early, enough time to run to the tabac half a block away as a last, desperate attempt. And of course they had the stamp all along. This fucking country. I waited for a while to have my name called, but once the process started it only took like 15 minutes. I went in and they did a little weight-height-vision test, plus gave me a female condom. Gee thanks! Next it was the infamous chest x-ray. I took off my shirt, went in, was awkwardly pressed against a machine, and that was it. The nice doctor man told me I should do all the paper work for social security when it comes in (since I'm technically a fonctionnaire -- ahhhh!), but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. I of course took my x-ray home and promptly taped it to my window like fucked up stained glass. It makes me laugh cuz my boobs look gigantic.
So then some stuff and whatever happened and now it's the end of this week. I've been feeling quasi-sick all week and therefore exhausted. It feels like allergies but who knows. The weather keeps going from rain to dry as well so that sometimes messes me up. Currently my weather widget says that today will be a high of 38 and a low of 26. Niiiiice. One more week and then it's winter break, I'm so excited I can barely stand it. I've got some homework to do this weekend, as well as a Christmas worksheet for the kiddies. I'm going to have them make Christmas cards for their families using English expressions. I can't believe it's almost Christmas already. Christmas has sort of lost it's significance for me in the past few years, since we've been going to Vegas or Disneyland instead. My brought did bring our ornaments when she moved though. And she brought me a big Hanukkiah and the nice Israeli candles when she came, so I got to have a relatively normal Hanukkah. Matt will be here on Christmas so we'll have to figure something out, even if it's getting drunk in the Marais and celebrating our Jewishness.
And then. . .vacation. It's so close I can taste it. This week I've put reminders all over the place so I'll remember to print out all of our confirmation info. And I need to find the Eurolines office so I can get our bus tickets. Seriously I walked by it but I think it's in some private building, so I need to call and ask them how to get in. I should've just paid the 5 euro or whatever to have some mailed to me. Speaking of mail, I sent my first package to the US the other day. I compiled a few things and a Christmas card for Lauren. I really tried to find a Hanukkah card but no luck. I did decorate the envelope though. Next order of business is to put together something for Merix and Alexander. They are the boys I nannied last year, who speak French fluently, and are very jealous that I got to go to Paris. So I'm gonna hit up the toy stores and souvenir things looking for some Astérix toys or something. And of course I will send them some Kinder bars so they can feel really French. Their parents will love that. Of course I also want to send them stuff cuz I'd like to secure that job when I get back. Tee.
I have such a problem with getting ahead of myself, but I really can't help it. I've already started to plan my summer school schedule around free mornings so I can work when I get back. I don't even want to think about housing though. I'm staying with my mom at first while I look for something. This year I want to live with normal people whose parents are paying their rent or something. I dunno, obviously not everyone is irresponsible, just be people I've chosen to live with. The key is to plan ahead so I don't have to be desperate. Oy. It's too far away to worry about right now anyway.

No comments: