Monday, October 22, 2007

Bogus, bonkers, and creinous

Well the biggest news of the day is that San Diego is up in flames. Again. Four years to the day, practically. Except this time the fire is closing in on Carmel Valley. The ironic thing is that my house is sold and my mom and brother are in Washington, DC while my mom attends a conference. My entire childhood is already packed up and ready to go, but sitting in boxes with no one to rescue it. So we'll see how it goes. I've been checking signonsandiego.com and listening to their radio stream but there are so many places burning that they barely get into the coastal communities. As far as I know there are lots of voluntary evacuations and a good deal of mandatory ones, but they're all for the sake of being overly cautious because of what happened last time. It's hard to even identify the nearest fire by name (I think it's the Witch).
The rest of today was actually going rather well until I got home. It was another long day at work, but there was some fun. My oldest class went totally batshit because their teacher left them alone with me for the first time. That woman is just such a bitch I'm sure they couldn't believe their luck. The funny thing is that I don't even care if they make noise. I don't even care if they don't learn anything. They know that their teacher is going to come back and kick their asses if they don't shut up. My last class was sort of canceled because of a family emergency so I went over to Champion to buy some envelopes and the large amount of cheap candy to give out when I teach Halloween on Thursday. I used to think that Christmas started early in America. Right after Halloween, maybe mixed in with a cornucopia and a paper turkey. But I went into the grocery store today and voila, chocolate Santas. Shit son. Another down side of the lack of Halloween here is the severe lack of large bags of fun size candy. There are fun size boxes of Smarties, but they come about 20 to a bag for 2,57 euro a bag. And I have about 170 students. Needless to say I can't afford that. So I bought four bags of fruity candies with about 60 pieces each. Maybe the good classes will get two candies each. I'm excited to use Halloween to start teaching them about our hyper-commercialized, consumer culture.

No comments: