Monday, October 8, 2007

Sometimes my life is like a movie

Whether one crazy roommate is throwing my food out the window, or I'm suing another in small claims court. This morning was like some sort of situational irony where two simple mishaps just screwed me over.

So. I did manage to get to bed at 10:30 last night, giving me approximately 7.5 hours to sleep, minus the usual tossing and turning. Nevermind the fact that Puck fell in a box at 5:30 and I didn't get back to sleep (don't ask). So this morning, I had a plan. A good one. Here's the back-story. I need to get my carte Imagine-R. It is the student metro card, it is cool, blah blah. In order to get it, I must get a money order for 547 euros and send it in with my application. Because I am picky (and stupid), I don't yet have a French bank account. I could get one with Societé Générale sans carte de séjour, but what would be the fun in that. Anyway, so in order to have 547 euros in cash, I must withdraw it from my Bank of America account. Over two separate days, of course, because there is a $500 withdrawal limit per day. No prob. I got out 250 yesterday, I was going to get out another 300 this morning. And then I would go to the post office during my lunch break. Well, this $500 a day rule applies to each American day, as I've learned. So I withdrew 250 euros yesterday at approximately 2 am PST. And when I went to withdraw more this morning, it was technically 11 pm PST. Fuckin' A. I tried twice for good measure, then moved on with my life.
Unforunately, that extra five minutes on my day set into motion a dire chain of events. I was at the ATM, so I missed the 7:03 metro. I had to wait, and thus arrived on the platform at Gare St. Lazare just in time to miss the 7:18 train. No big deal, another one comes at 7:33, which will get my to Marly-le-roi at exactly 8:05, 25 minutes before my first class. But the 7:33 train never came. At 8:15, a train pulled up to the platform. I was ecstatic and rushed on. I would be late, but I would make it in time to teach something that first class. About 15 minutes into the trip, past the point where I could've changed trains, I realized that my train was heading in the wrong direction. I am still not clear how this happened, because each platform receives only one direction of trains. So I was like, "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." But at least I knew that I wasn't too far from Marly, so I exited the train at Versailles Rive Droite and frantically searched the bus map for the line to Marly. No such luck, it's too far north. But, this bus line would take me to La Celle St. Cloud, a train station on the line to Marly. So I took the bus all the way to the fuckin' end, then waited ten more minutes for a train that then took ten more minutes to get to Marly. By the time I had hoofed it to my first school, I had just enough time to apologize to some faculty before I ran off to St. Exupéry. Sorry kids, we'll have to pick it up on Thursday.

No comments: