Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's all coming together

Today I had my first day of class. Granted it is a MICEFA class and takes place in the same building where I had my immersion classes, but there was a lecture and I took notes and it was real. We also had a small field trip over to Les Arènes de Lutece, the fun little Roman arena where I watched Some Like it Hot a while ago. Anyway, we saw that, then went over to my neighborhood, where there are the last few visible spots of a wall that surrounded Paris in the 7th century. Pretty sweet. The class is "History of Paris," so there will be lots of these little field trips. I think it's gonna be rather easy. A higher level French is required for the class that starts tomorrow, History of Franco-American relations. That is just going to be balls because after 8 hours at the elementary schools, I have to catch the 4:42 train to St. Lazare, then metro over to the Sorbonne for class at 6. Thursday is just going to be a heinous day. Next week I start my grammar classes (blah).
On the front of exercise, I may have found a solution (I know, it's like my 9798475th idea). Anyway, I went to Paris 7 yesterday to check out the sports complex. That entire campus seriously looks like a prison. It was so cold and metallic and scary. I saw the weight room and such, but France is fuckin bizarre and I can only use the work out rooms if I take the classes. So I have to take the cardio class twice a week or whatnot in order to use the machines. What a load. So after I escaped from St. Quentin I went home and made a last ditch effort to find a private gym online. I went back to the Club Med Gym website, which I had initially overlooked because none of the clubs are in walking distance. Well, one is a 4 minute metro ride away, so I figure it's worth a shot. I just plunked down $700 for that metro pass so I might as well use it, right? I'm going to check it out this afternoon. Another shitty thing about France is that everything has to be paid up front, so I assume I'll have to do another two-part ATM withdrawal in order to get this gym membership. So ridonkulous. There's another fancy gym sort of nearby but not very accessible by foot or metro. I made an appointment to check it out on Saturday, so if worse comes to worst, I get a free workout.
And now for something completely different. Lesson planning sucks ass. I have 6 classes, with kids who have about three different levels of English. So I've resigned myself to making three different lesson plans. So gross. So that is my homework tonight, I will go to bed at the ungodly hour of 10, wake up at the even more ungodly hour of 6 am, and pray that the fucking train comes.

No comments: